Saturday, April 3, 2010

deep fried twinkies

I%26#39;ve read about deep fried twinkies while doing research on LV. Just wondering if anyone%26#39;s tried them, and if they%26#39;re recommended! Is this a %26#39;delicacy%26#39; associated with LV in particular (like deep fried Mars bars are to Scotland)? Also, where can I buy one? I%26#39;ve heard Freemont Street mentioned...





deep fried twinkies


The %26#39;deep-fried Mars bars in Scotland%26#39; are an urban myth - I%26#39;ve never seen or tasted one, and I%26#39;ve lived here my whole life....



deep fried twinkies


This unusual treat can be found a Mermaids, freemopnt st. Downtown . I like them, but they are an aquired taste for many.






We tried one for the first time on our last trip.





Acquired taste is a good way to put it. I was partway through a big slushie drink, and even with that semi-impaired judgement, I didn%26#39;t like them.





Cool idea, but greasy and lots of batter.





Mermaids kitchen area and the staff working the line leaves a lot to be desired too IMHO.





Other people I know love them though, so maybe you just have to go downtown and try one for yourself!!!




The smell of them is enough to detour you... Mermaids is kinda stinky... like burnt twinkie.(barf)




THanks for the imput! I guess I%26#39;ll check %26#39;Mermaids%26#39; out, and then use my judgement!




The twinkie thing stared at state fairs. Things deep fried and things served on a stick are proper fair fare.





The Mermaid%26#39;s version of the deep fried twinkie is a bit greasy and covered with powdered sugar. It%26#39;s not the best version of the carb laden snack cake but no matter how it%26#39;s done..it%26#39;s not health food.





Try the fried Oreo too. :-%26gt;





It%26#39;s also served at Mermaids on Fremont street.




';A naked Twinkie is 150 calories and 5 grams of fat. Add at least another 240 calories and, gulp, 28 grams of fat for the deep-frying treatment. Comparatively, a small slice of key lime pie is about 417 calories and 25 grams of fat.



';





sptimes.com/2002/…The_Twinkie_transform.shtml





Here%26#39;s another link



http://www.fitsugar.com/112316







Oy, I take in 1250 calories daily (well about that many), That is a diet killer if I have ever seen one!




The deep fried twinkie gets all the publicity, but I really like the frozen bananas, fresh dipped in chocolate at Mermaid%26#39;s.





The first bite is excellent, no need to acquire a taste for this treat.




I agree with Shrinkgirl. They are served at many state fairs and arts and crafts fairs (at least in Jersey). I never had the nerve to taste one in Vegas or elsewhere- seems just too gross. Now a properly made funnel cake.......delicious!




vp03,





Funnel cakes with strawberries.. :-%26gt;

No comments:

Post a Comment