Monday, December 12, 2011

What's so bad about the monorail??

I%26#39;ve read many posts on here where people say to stay away from the monorail? What up? It seems like such a convenient way to get around.



What's so bad about the monorail??


Monorail is great... it could be a little pricy if you%26#39;re going in a larger group... taxis may be cheaper in groups of 4 or more... toehrwise, monirail is great... fast, convenient, reliable



What's so bad about the monorail??


It is a convenient (if expensive) way to get around, if two conditions are met:





(1) You are traveling to/from hotels on the *EAST* side of the Strip; and





(2) Your origin and destination hotels have a monorail station





So, for example, the monorail is a perfect way to get from the MGM to Flamingo, or Harrah%26#39;s, or (especially) the LV Hilton or Sahara.





It is *not* a particularly good way to get from, let%26#39;s say, Monte Carlo to Treasure Island. You%26#39;d have to cross to the MGM, walk all the way through to the monorail station, ride it to Harrah%26#39;s, then come out and cross the Strip over to TI.





The monorail is good for what it is. I almost always stay on the east side of the Strip, most often at Flamingo. So it works very well for my needs.




What rawkneee said.





I just used it Saturday to travel from Monte Carlo to Wynn. Of course I walked to MGM, then got off at Harrahs. But still, it saved me a ton of walking!




I am not a fan of the monorail. I took it when it just connected MGM and Bally%26#39;s and it was free. I still thought it was a waste of time. By the time I walked to the station at Bally%26#39;s from the strip and then walked from the MGM station back to the strip I realized I probably could have walked it faster and with nor much more walking involved. So- even though it was in the middle of summer- I just walked back.



Because the stations are set back it sometimes involves a hike just to get to them. To me it only makes sense if you are going from the south strip (MGM, Bally%26#39;s) to the Sahara, convention center or the Hilton. Otherwise- forget about it!




--It%26#39;s expensive if you have a group of 3 or more (compared to a taxi)





--The stations are on the back side of the hotels from the Strip side. Doesn%26#39;t sound too bad, but usually the ';action'; in the hotels is on the strip side, so you end up doing a lot of walking through some less-interesting parts of the hotels.





--With all the walking/waiting you do, it sometimes feels like you%26#39;re wasting too much time. At least when you%26#39;re stuck in traffic on the Deuce, there%26#39;s stuff to look at out the windows.





--There%26#39;s not much to see out the windows while you%26#39;re on the monorail (compared to the Strip views you get from the Deuce or a taxi)







http://www.lvmonorail.com/ride/route_map/




The previous posters have got it pretty much right. The monorail is kind of a ';love it or hate it'; thing for most people. I tend to agree with PaulStory - it%26#39;s great for some situations, but not for others. Many people who dislike the monorail feel that it should go everywhere and should be free of charge. In fcat, there are plans to extend the monorail route so that it connects directly to the airport, though I%26#39;m guessing those have been put on hold due to the economic situation.




It%26#39;d be the best thing the monorail could do in this economy. I%26#39;d get a monorail ticket from the airport in a heartbeat and I%26#39;m sure everyone else would, too. I%26#39;m also sure that the taxi companies are lobbying against it as hard as they possibly can.





I use the monorail quite a bit while I%26#39;m there, but it%26#39;s definitely out of the way, and you definitely have to think about it before you decide. Some options are just bad. For example, I wanted to get to Excalibur from the Bellagio and didn%26#39;t feel like walking, so I said hey, I%26#39;ve got this monorail pass anyway, why not? It took about fifteen minutes longer than if I%26#39;d just made the walk in the first place, and I wouldn%26#39;t have stopped in the MGM high limit area first, either. ;)




I%26#39;m sure everyone else would, too.





I wouldn%26#39;t. Can you imagine pulling those suitcases all the way from the stations? And what if you are staying on the west side of the strip? You would have to cross the street or use the pedestrain crossovers to get to your hotel. Just not worth it.




I wouldn%26#39;t even consider it from the airport. In Las Vegas you measure value. To save $3-$4 a couple and have to schlep your own bags doesn%26#39;t present any value.



We%26#39;ve used the monorail once, out of I don%26#39;t know how many trips. We were staying at MGM and wanted lunch at Toby Keiths. It worked out OK because Toby%26#39;s is in the back of Harrahs. But if we would have had to walk all the way through MGM and then to the front of Harrahs on the other end, it wouldn%26#39;t have been worth the trouble. The savings over taking a cab was probably only a couple of dollars.




Here%26#39;s the one time I agree with vp on the monorail





If it goes to the airport I might forget it. I don%26#39;t want to fight all those airport people with their luggage! That would be brutal.

No comments:

Post a Comment